By Jared Samuelson
You’ve read and heard a lot of discussion on Battle Force 2045, but it will ultimately be up to Congress to fund the fleet design. So what do two of Congress’s foremost navalists think about it? Rep. Elaine Luria (D-VA) and Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI) join the podcast to share their thoughts on Battle Force 2045, the plan’s opportunities and shortcomings, and Congress’s role in making it a reality.
Download Sea Control 221 – Congressional Perspectives on Battle Force 2045 with Rep. Elaine Luria and Rep. Mike Gallagher
1. “Force Structure Perspectives: Congresswoman Elaine Luria on Getting Congress Involved,” CIMSEC, Oct 30, 2020.
2. “Bringing Congress to the (Wargaming) Table for a Bigger and Better Navy,” by Rep. Mike Gallagher, War on the Rocks, Oct. 19, 2020.
3. “To Deter China, the Naval Forces Must Integrate,” War on the Rocks, Rep. Mike Gallagher Feb 4, 2020.
Jared Samuelson is the Senior Producer of the Sea Control Podcast. Contact him at Seacontrol@cimsec.org
By Walker Mills
Tim Heck and Brett Friedman join the podcast for a great discussion about their new book, On Contested Shores: The Evolving Role of Amphibious Operations in the History of Warfare. Heck and Friedman talk about historical and future amphibious operations and provide a glimpse into the future of amphibiosity in the Marine Corps.
Download Sea Control 220 – On Contested Shores with B.A. Friedman & Timothy Heck
1.On Contested Shores: The Evolving Role of Amphibious Operations in the History of Warfare, edited by Tim Heck and B.A. Friedman, Marine Corps University Press, 2020.
2. 21st Century Ellis: Operational Art and Strategic Prophecy for the Modern Era, by B.A. Friedman, Naval Institute Press, 2015.
3. Tactics: A Theory of Victory in Battle, by B.A. Friedman, Naval Institute Press, 2017.
4. From the Cold War to ISIL: One Marine’s Journey, by Jason Q. Bohm, Naval Institute Press, 2019.
Walker Mills is a Co-Host of the Sea Control Podcast. Contact the podcast team at Seacontrol@cimsec.org.
By Alex Clarke
Bilge Pumps, Episode 30. This is it, the Christmas Special you have all been waiting for! The regular Bilge Pumps Crew is joined by Commander Michael Clapp (ret.) and Major General Julian Thompson (ret.) – the command from the Amphibious Task Group, the Inshore Squadron, and 3rd Commando Brigade during the Falklands War. We hope you enjoy the conversation and have as much fun listening to it as we did making it.
For those interested in taking part in our competition, please send your PDF submissions to Bilgepumpsofcimsec@gmail.com by January the 10, 2021.
#Bilgepumps is still a newish series and new avenue, which may no longer boast the new car smell, in fact decidedly more of pineapple/irn bru smell with a hint of jaffa cake and the faintest whiff of cork. But we’re getting the impression it’s liked, so we’d very much like any comments, topic suggestions or ideas for artwork to be tweeted to us, the #Bilgepump crew (with #Bilgepumps), at Alex (@AC_NavalHistory), Drach (@Drachinifel), and Jamie (@Armouredcarrier). Or you can comment on our Youtube channels (listed down below).
Download Bilge Pumps Episode 30: Christmas Special with Cmdr. Michael Clapp & Maj Gen. Julian Thompson
1. Dr. Alex Clarke’s Youtube Channel
2. Drachinifel’s Youtube Channel
3. Jamie Seidel’s Youtube Channel
Alex Clarke is the producer of The Bilge Pumps podcast.
Contact the CIMSEC podcast team at Seacontrol@cimsec.org.
By Walker Mills
Sea Control 219. Commandant of the United States Coast Guard Admiral Karl Schultz joins Sea Control’s Walker Mills to talk about the recent Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Strategic Fishing Strategic Outlook and the 2019 Arctic Strategic Outlook. Admiral Schultz discusses balancing the Coast Guard’s missions and resources, innovation in the force, and the Coast Guard’s role in great power competition.
Download Sea Control 219 – USCG Commandant Admiral Karl Schultz
1. “Arctic Strategic Outlook,” United States Coast Guard, April 2019.
2. “Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing Strategic Outlook,” United States Coast Guard, September 2020.
3. “White Ships for the Gray Zone,” by Capt. Walker Mills, USNI Proceedings, February 2020.
4. “In the Arctic, Look to the Coast Guard,” by Capt. Walker Mills, USNI Proceedings, August 2020.
5. “The Coast Guard Needs to Listen – Acoustically,” by LTJG Thomas Caero, USNI Proceedings, August 2020.
6. “Bring Back Coast Guard Sub Hunters,” by David Van Dyk, USNI Proceedings, September 2020.
7. “The U.S. Coast Guard Should Guard the U.S. Coasts,” by LCDR Brian Hayes, USNI Blog, September 21, 2020.
Walker Mills is Co-Host of the Sea Control Podcast. Contact the Sea Control team at Seacontrol@cimsec.org.